Do You Practice CPR Catch, Photo and Release Fishing?

Bookmark This Site

Add to: Digg Add to: Add to: Reddit Add to: StumbleUpon Add to: Slashdot Add to: Netscape Add to: Furl Add to: Yahoo Add to: Blogmarks Add to: Technorati Add to: Newsvine Add to: Google
Social Bookmarking

Search OFT


Travelers Information

Print E-mail

Welcome to Ontario








Ontario continues to be extremely popular with US anglers seeking trophy fishing getaways. For many, this will be their first experience in the land of a thousand lakes. With that in mind recent US/Canada border crossing regulation changes need to be adhered to by all individuals crossing the border to ensure an enjoyable experience.

Effective January 31, 2008, U.S. and Canadian citizens ages 19 and older should no longer expect that they will be able to prove identity and citizenship by relying on an oral declaration alone. Instead, travelers will be asked to present documents from one of the options below when entering the United States at land or sea ports of entry. Travelers who do not present one of the documents listed below may be delayed as U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers attempt to verify their identity and citizenship.

U.S. and Canadian Citizens – Single Document Option
One of the following documents should be presented to prove both identity and citizenship.
Acceptable Documents as of January 31:
•    U.S. or Canadian Passport
•    U.S. Passport Card (Available spring 2008)*
•    Trusted Traveler Cards (NEXUS, SENTRI, or FAST)*
•    State or Provincial Issued Enhanced Driver’s License (when available – this secure driver’s license will denote identity and citizenship.)*
•    Enhanced Tribal Cards (when available)*
•    U.S. Military Identification with Military Travel Orders
•    U.S. Merchant Mariner Document
•    Native American Tribal Photo Identification Card
•    Form I-872 American Indian Card
•    Indian and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC) Card

* Frequent Land Border Crossers — to expedite processing into the United States, U.S. Customs and Border Protection recommends using one of the above documents.

U.S. and Canadian Citizens – Two Document Option
All U.S. and Canadian citizens who do not have one of the documents from the list above must present BOTH an identification and citizenship document from below.
Identification Documents*
•    Driver’s license or identification card issued by a federal, state, provincial, county, territory, or municipal authority
•    U.S. or Canadian military identification card
* All identification documents must have a photo, name and date of birth.

Citizenship Documents

•    U.S. or Canadian birth certificate issued by a federal, state, provincial, county, territory or municipal authority
•    U.S. Consular report of birth abroad
•    U.S. Certificate of Naturalization
•    U.S. Certificate of Citizenship
•    U.S. Citizen Identification Card
•    Canadian Citizenship Card
•    Canadian certificate of citizenship without photo

U.S. and Canadian Citizens – Procedures for Children

Effective January 31, 2008, U.S. and Canadian citizen children ages 18 and under will be expected to present a birth certificate issued by a federal, state, provincial, county or municipal authority.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection will begin the transition to the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative secure document requirement over the next 18 months, with implementation as early as June 1, 2009.
To find more information about the latest regulations please take a moment to visit the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) and review the information for Visitors to Canada and Seasonal Residents .

< Prev   Next >